1. Background and purpose
Under the management policies of the "expansion of energy-related business" and "globalization," we are working on strengthening overseas business with the focus on the industrial infrastructure and power electronics business.
SMBE is a major manufacturer of low-voltage electrical switchgear and control gear solutions conducting business in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia. It has taken advantage of its strong relationships with design consulting and plant engineering firms to deliver many installations for datacenters, commercial facilities and industrial plant and factory equipment.
We established Fuji Tusco Co., Ltd. in Thailand last October for the purpose of strengthening the power transformation business and, in December, launched Fuji Electric Manufacturing (Thailand) Co., Ltd., a new factory mainly engaged in the production of power electronics devices as the core base of manufacturing in Asia. In such ways, we are steadily moving ahead with strengthening the overseas business foundation.
The present acquisition is expected to allow us to make use of SMBE's resources to further expand the business in Asia. The following describes the specific approaches.
- Expansion of sales channels and strengthening of engineering capabilities
In addition to the distribution channels we have, SMBE's sales channels in the Asia-Pacific region and engineering capabilities will be utilized to increase the number of industrial plant and system projects that combine the company's low-voltage switchboards and our power electronics devices (such as uninterruptible power supplies systems (UPSs), inverters, motors, molded and other transformers and measuring instruments).
- Strengthening of business by medium-voltage switchboard technology
Licensing of our technology will make it possible to start producing medium-voltage switchboards, which can be combined with our merchandise for the development of new markets such as marine electrical equipment and offshore plants in the offshore sector.
2. Overview of Company to be Acquired
(1) Company name: SMB Electric Pte. Ltd.
(2) Year of establishment: 1978
(3) Location: Singapore
(4) Representative: Lee Wee Hian
(5) Amount of sales: SGD 110 million (approx. 9.8 billion yen at 89 JPY/SGD) (2013)
(6) Number of employees: 687 (as of June 2014)
(7) Description of business: Manufacture, sales and related services of low-voltage electrical switchgear and control gear solutions
(8) Number of subsidiaries: 13 (5 in Singapore, 4 in Malaysia, 3 in Australia, 1 in Indonesia)
About Fuji Electric
Fuji Electric Co., Ltd. (TSE:6504) is a world leader in electronics manufacturing and energy technology with 91 years of accumulated technology and experience. Through innovations in electric and thermal energy technology, Fuji Electric develops products that maximize energy efficiency, with the aim towards promoting a responsible and sustainable society. www.fujielectric.com (リンク »)
Public and Investor Relations Department
Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.
概要：Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.